Monday, August 24, 2009

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

"There was a faint smell, too. A pungent odor that I'd never smelled before. Well, I'd smelled it faintly before, but now... now it was so strong. And getting stronger. I opened my eyes and forced myself to watch again. That aroma--it wasn't like I was sensing it with my nose. I felt it, somewhere deep in the pit of my stomach, or in the farthest reaches of the primitive part of the brain that we'd talked about in biology class. The part that controlled sex and aggression and...pleasure?"
-Jessica (Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey)
I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't really paying attention when I bought this book. It was on one of those Amazon things were they recommand the books that you should buy because of other books that you've read. I also really didn't look at the discription until I got it (I waited anxiously by the way!) and as soon as I did read it I assumed it would be some type of a Twilight knock off of someone who was trying to gain a fast rise to fame.
Boy was I wrong. As soon as I read the plot I knew it was something different that I was pretty sure I would enjoy. Besides the obvious plot that Jessica's guy, Lucius, is a vampire it turns out that he's not the only one.
(This book redefines the defintion of vampires as someone who was born undead instead of just turned that way. For men, the transformation from a child to a full vampire is simple, it happens when they reach the age of puberty but for girls it's a little more difficult. They're born that way but they still have to be bitten by a vampire in order to get your fangs.)
If finding out that she was a vampire wasn't bad enough, Jessica also learns that she is the descendant of one of the most powerful vampire families (Dragomir) and her decessed parents signed her up to be married to Lucius once she turned eighteen to end a feud between their two families.
Jessica doesn't want any of that. All she wanted was to spend her senior year gaining a social life, and getting together with Jake Zinn. Why should she have to change her whole life for people she doesn't even know and are crazy enough to think they're vampires?!
This book is fun and creative and I couldn't put it down for days. It's a wonderful first book for Beth Fantaskey and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

1 comment:

  1. This book was amazing, thank you so much, for recommending it!

    ReplyDelete

Buy The Books

If you ever want to buy the book that I'm speaking about click on the picture of it and it will lead you to the amazon page of it.

Search This Blog